- Be sure to ask any questions that are important to you such as:
- What is your training and experience?
- Have you treated many people with this type of problem?
- What treatment approaches do you use and how do they work?
- Is there a charge for the service? If there is, what is the fee and how do I pay?
- Having a good “fit” with your therapist is key to successful therapy.
- It’s important that you feel safe, supported, and can honestly share your thoughts and feelings.
- It’s okay to review your choices and look into alternatives to find the right person.
- Consider creating a list of questions to ask counselors or therapists over the phone before making a first appointment.
Download: Fact Sheet: Questions to ask when you are deciding on a therapist on our Fact Sheets web page.