- Be sure to ask any questions that are important to you such as:
- What is your training and experience?
- Have you treated many people with this type of problem?
- What treatment approaches do you use and how do they work?
- Is there a charge for the service? If there is, what is the fee and how do I pay?
- Having a good “fit” with your therapist is key to successful therapy.
- It’s important that you feel safe, supported, and can honestly share your thoughts and feelings.
- It’s okay to review your choices and look into alternatives to find the right person.
- Consider creating a list of questions to ask counselors or therapists over the phone before making a first appointment.
For More Information Please See:
- What to Expect During Counseling or Therapy
- What are the results over time?
- What happens when counseling is completed?
- What are the risks of therapy?
- Who provides therapy or counseling?
- How much does therapy or counseling cost?
- Combining Medication and Therapy
Download: Fact Sheet: Questions to Ask When You Are Deciding on a Therapist
Last Updated: March 12, 2013